All the iPhone users have been waiting for this day as they can finally change the appearance of their beloved smartphones as iOS 16 is ready roll out. Of course the appearance does not change externally, but internally the users are going to feel that they are using a brand new smartphone. The iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro was just showcased at the Apple event and the users instantly fell in love with new features and user interface that was showcased during the event.
Lucky for them, the user interface will be available for their smartphones too and a lot sooner than they think. The iOS 16 release date has been set as September 12, 2022. Through this update, the main change the users are going to observe in their smartphone is the all new customisable lock screen which helps provide a unique appearance to their iPhones. There are some new enhancements to Messages, Photos, Safari and other applications too, check out everything that’s new in iOS 16 below:
Reimagined Lock Screen
- Users will be able to make their iPhone unique with all-new ways to personalise their Lock Screen. Showcase favourite photos, customise font styles and display a set of widgets to get information at a glance.
- Widgets on the Lock Screen let the user quickly glance at information like the weather, calendar events, date, time zones, alarms, battery level, Activity ring progress and more from their favourite apps.
Create multiple Lock Screens
- The user can now create different Lock Screens, each with a unique backdrop and style, and easily switch between them. Browse a gallery of wallpapers with suggested photos and themed collections for inspiration.
- The user will be able to view notifications on the Lock Screen in an expanded list view, stacked view or hidden view, and notifications appear at the bottom of the screen, so they stay out of the way.
- Live Activities make it easier for the user to stay on top of things that are happening in real time, right from their Lock Screen. The user can track the progress of theur food delivery or use the Now Playing controls without unlocking their device.
Easily set up a Focus
- A new streamlined setup for Focus lets the user select the apps and people they want to receive notifications from by either allowing them or silencing them. Connect the Lock Screen to Focus so the look and feel of the iPhone will match how the user wants to use it in the moment. With a swipe, they user can go from their Personal Focus to their Work Focus with widgets showing upcoming meetings and to-do lists.
Smart ways to share
- When the user sets up or joins a Shared Photo Library, they can choose to contribute past photos based on a start date or the people in the photos. Once the shared library is set up, the user can share photos instantly right from Camera, choose to share automatically when other shared library members are nearby and get smart suggestions for adding photos to the shared library in For You.
Edits and changes sync everywhere
- Everyone has equal permissions for adding, editing and deleting photos in the shared library. Favourites, captions and keywords sync too, so if one person organises the collection, everyone benefits.
Everyday messaging enhanced
- The user can now edit a message they just sent or unsend a recent message altogether, they can also mark a message as unread if they can’t respond in the moment and want to come back to it later.
SharePlay via Messages
- The user can watch the latest episode of their favourite show or listen to a new song with friends while chatting about it in Messages. Shared playback controls ensure that the user is always synced up.
- Share notes, presentations, reminders, Safari Tab Groups and more in Messages to start collaborating instantly. See updates on shared projects in the thread and easily get in touch with your collaborators right from the app you’re working in.
- Search delivers more accurate and complete results and provides suggestions before the user starts typing.
Safari and Passkeys
Shared Tab Groups
- Share tabs and bookmarks, send messages and start FaceTime right from Safari. Whether the user is planning a trip with friends or shopping for a couch with their partner, they can share all the tabs in one place, and when they find something great, they can add tabs too.
Live Text for video
- Pause a video on any frame that contains text to use familiar interactions like copy, translate, look up, share and more.
Live Text quick actions
- Now it’s even easier to call phone numbers, visit websites, convert currencies, translate languages and more in photos, videos and Camera.
Use Dictation and the keyboard together
- Move seamlessly between voice and touch to enter text. Type with the keyboard, tap in the text field, move the cursor and insert QuickType suggestions, all without needing to stop Dictation.
Share keys securely
Share keys securely in Wallet using your favourite messaging apps, including Messages, Mail and WhatsApp. The user can decide where and when their keys can be used, and they can revoke them anytime.
Reimagined Home app
The Home app is rebuilt from the ground up to be even more efficient and reliable. Navigate all your smart home accessories in the redesigned Home tab. New categories for climate, lights, security and more let you access relevant accessories with just a tap. And a multi-camera view puts your smart home cameras front and centre.
Health and Fitness
Health app updates
- The new Medications feature in the Health app helps the user to manage and track the medications they take and also helps them stay connected on what matters most, the user can now send loved ones an invitation to share their information stored in the Health app.
Fitness app for iPhone
- The Fitness app can help the user track and meet their fitness goals, even if they don’t have an Apple Watch. Now, using iPhone motion sensors, their steps, distance and third‑party workouts will give the user an estimate of their calories to contribute to their daily move goal.
Manage child accounts with ease
- Easily create accounts for children with the right parental controls, right from the start. Set your preferences for age-appropriate media, Screen Time, location sharing and more. Screen Time requests from your kids now appear in Messages, so it’s easy to approve or decline a request.
Set up a new device for a child
- Use Quick Start and your device to easily set up a new iPhone or iPad for your child with all the appropriate parental controls already in place.
- Get helpful tips and suggestions to get the most out of Family Sharing, like updating children’s settings as they get older, turning on location sharing or reminding you that you can share your iCloud+ subscription with everyone.
Privacy and Security
- Safety Check helps people in domestic or intimate partner violence situations review and reset the access they’ve granted others. Safety Check resets system privacy permissions for apps and restricts Messages and FaceTime to the device on hand.
Control Apple Watch with iPhone
- Use Switch Control, Voice Control or any other assistive feature on iPhone to control your Apple Watch.
- Navigate the final few feet to your destination by locating a door, identifying how far away it is and finding out how to open it. Door Detection also reads aloud important details like room numbers and wheelchair accessible symbols.
That’s not all, there is an entire list of all the changes that have been made to the latest iOS on Apple’s official website. Interested users can check out all the other changes for iOS 16 here.