👋 Welcome to The Weekly Authority, the newsletter from Android Authority that offers a comprehensive breakdown of the top Android and tech news from the week. We’re thrilled to bring you the 252nd edition, which includes exciting news about the launch of Threads, an official Galaxy Unpacked event date announcement, exclusive details about the Pixel 8, and much more.
🍔 Hello, everyone! Hadlee here, stepping in for Paula, who is currently under the weather (get well soon, Paula!). This weekend, I have delightful plans to indulge in some unhealthy food, play games to my heart’s content, and then make up for it all with a refreshing forest walk and a quick cycle.
This week, gaming publisher Valve made a groundbreaking announcement (source: The Verge). They revealed that the Steam Deck handheld console now boasts an impressive collection of 10,000 verified or playable PC titles. While it’s important to note that these games may have some flaws, it’s still a monumental achievement for Valve and the Steam Deck.
- It’s worth acknowledging that the term “playable” does not guarantee flawlessness.
- Therefore, it’s possible that some of these games may contain bugs, ranging from minor issues to potentially game-breaking ones.
- Nevertheless, this milestone represents a significant accomplishment for Valve and the Steam Deck.
- The Deck operates on the Linux-based SteamOS, which means Valve is utilizing Proton software to run Windows games that lack a native Linux port.
- This milestone underscores the viability of Linux gaming as a noteworthy pursuit.
- Could this pave the way for the resurgence of Steam Machines (PCs running SteamOS)? It’s unclear, but I’m excited to witness the emergence of more handheld devices supporting this platform.
- My colleague, Riley Ballantyne, also suggests that this development could be advantageous for PC enthusiasts who prefer building their own computers.
- Specifically, these enthusiasts might consider redirecting the $140 they would typically spend on Windows towards other components or accessories now that Linux gaming is flourishing.
- Interestingly, Apple recently introduced a toolkit that enables convenient Windows game compatibility on MacOS computers.
- While there are still a few obstacles hindering non-Windows platforms, it’s evident that Microsoft’s dominance as the default computer gaming platform is slowly eroding.
Denial of responsibility! SamacharCentrl is an automatic aggregator of Global media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, and all materials to their authors. For any complaint, please reach us at – [email protected]. We will take necessary action within 24 hours.
Deepak Sen is a tech enthusiast who covers the latest technological innovations, from AI to consumer gadgets. His articles provide readers with a glimpse into the ever-evolving world of technology.