Jennifer Aniston, the popular actor who first rose to fame with her portrayal of Rachel Green on the hit sitcom “Friends,” has dealt with her share of criticism over the years. Recently, Aniston revealed that there is one compliment in particular that she finds irritating.
In an interview with British Vogue, the 54-year-old actor confessed that she dislikes the statement, “You look great for your age.”
According to Aniston, the remark “drives me bananas, I can’t stand it.”
Aniston suggested changing the phrasing to “You look great, period.” She believes that using markers such as “you’re at that stage, so for your age…” is a social habit that needs to change. Aniston continues to feel better in mind, body, and spirit and is in better shape now than she was in her 20s.
Research suggests that ageist thoughts can have a negative impact on an individual’s physical health. For example, hearing the word “old” can cause an individual to walk more slowly subconsciously. Negative comments can also discourage individuals from pursuing activities associated with younger people, such as skiing or hiking.
How to Brush Off Negative Remarks:
- Don’t be determined to get the last word: Sometimes it’s best to ignore someone who is spreading unfavourable sentiment and find another approach to deal with them.
- Agree to disagree: By teaching yourself that it’s acceptable to disagree with someone, you’ll be able to use “agree to disagree” reasoning instead of internalizing inaccurate criticism.
- Consider why they are firing back: While many individuals lash out because of their own bad experiences, it’s never acceptable for someone to insult you to make themselves feel better.
- Recognize that your health comes first: Keep reminding yourself that your health is the most important thing. The more you put yourself first, the less impact other people’s opinions will have on your mental health.
- Get assistance: Knowing that you’re not the only one dealing with ageism and disparaging remarks at work can be empowering. Reach out to your supervisor, HR, a mentor, or a friend if you ever need support.
Denial of responsibility! SamacharCentrl is an automatic aggregator of Global media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, and all materials to their authors. For any complaint, please reach us at – [email protected]. We will take necessary action within 24 hours.
Hemalata Nehete celebrates the art of living well, exploring topics ranging from travel and fashion to home decor and culinary delights, offering inspiration for readers seeking a balanced and enjoyable lifestyle.